Tuesday, May 8, 2012

10 FOOD ITEMS I HAD IN BANGKOK




What did I try in Bangkok?

10 FOOD ITEMS I HAD IN BANGKOK
There are many streets food which are so tempting but I resisted to attempt as recently hubby had a bad bout of food poisoning (just 2 days before the trip).  However, this does not stop me from savouring Thai favourite local food which I enjoyed with a peace of mind at food courts and restaurant in the malls instead.

(1)    HOY TOD  (THAI FOR OYSTER EGG)
         I was told that Thai oysters are succulent and they exude lesser dark slimy thingy
         (not sure why).  The gluey starch is more pronounced here than Singapore version.  Most
         Singaporeans prefer it "chiak" or fried crispy but I prefer the starchy version but not necessary
         Bangkok version which is to the point of gluey rather than starchy.
         Overall, its nice, not as "jelak" as I could wipe the whole plate which I couldnt in Singapore.,




(2) BA MEE  (THAI FOR "TA MEE KIA")
     I have been looking for fish ball noodles in Bangkok and notably one in Chinatown known as Choy Tii
    but since I didnt make it there during the daytime, it was hard for me to find the shophouse.  I found this
    Plantinum Mall Foodcourt on the 6th Level and I enjoyed it.   The Ba Mee has less alkali or "kee" and
    you have to add your own sauces and chilli flakes.  My combination of condiments seemed perfect and
    I certainly like it.  The fishball and fishcakes are very fresh and here you see a few slice of fish added.



(3)  SHARKFIN CLAYPOT
      My usual stop is at Nam Sing in Chinatown popular for the Sharkfin in Claypot and Birdnest.  This time
      round, we think that the standard has dropped and the sidestreet cze char stall just outside Nam Sing
     seemed to be the popular ones, packed to the brim by locals and "ang mohs".



(4)  BIRDNEST SOUP
      At Nam Sing in Chinatown,  I ordered the cheapest grade of Birdnest at about SGD8.00 a bowl and
      surprisingly it was thick and not just diluted with water. It comes with side sweets for you to add in but
      I prefer it plain original flavour.  Yum Yum.








(5) PLAH POW (THAI FOR PLAIN GRILLED FISH)
   
 I have been eyeing this at the sidewalk steet hawkers and they are grilled in the open air.
     At Nam Sing, I ordered this Seabass which was covered with a layer of salt and grilled. You
     have to remove the skin and only dig at the meat.  It should be nice but the one I had was not
     fishy but the meat is not firm.





(6) GAENG KIAW WAN (THAI FOR GREEN CURRY CHICKEN)
     
One of my favourite dish is Thai Green curry which is a not to spicy curry.  It is smooth,
     flavourful and loved bursting the small pea eggplant (ma-keua puang) which kinda explodes
    when you bite it.  The other ingredient is the round Thai eggplant (ma-keua bprawh).
     Only drawback is that it consists of plenty of coconut milk which may be too rich for most of us.
     I actually just bought both the pea eggplant and round Thai eggplant from Golden Mile hoping I have the
     time to cook this weekend.








(7) GAI SATAY (THAI FOR PORK STICKS WITH PEANUT SAUCE)
     
Just like your local satay but as you can see, it is not SAH-TEH or 3 pieces but one whole long
     strip of meat.  The cumin taste is lesser and the satay is not grilled charcoal black on the
     corners unlike our satays.  I had this at the airport.





(8)  THAI FRIED PINEAPPLE RICE
       
This may not your authentic Thai Pineapple Rice served on a pineapple but it fried.
       This dish is uniquely Thai and the pineapple is rather juicy and adds moisture to the fried rice.
       I had this at Nam Sing in Chinatown.



(9) FISH WITH MASAMAN CURRY AND RICE
     
This is very nice but surprising I had this on the plane by Thai Airways.  The fish is very fresh
     and the curry gives you the 'kick" eaten with the steamed plain rice.



(10) COCONUT SORBET
        This is genuinely refreshing on a hot weather.  The Coconut sorbet sits on a husk of a coconut with the
        the coconut meat still intact. I had this at the Floating Market.



No comments:

JENCOOKS previous posts

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin